Facebook

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Nostalgic Paintings


I have sold a couple of gems recently that were personal favorites to me. One was Baptism at Moon Lake. It is now on it’s way to its new home in Norway! I know that it will be loved from talking to the collector. She shared with me that it is a gift to her husband on their 26th wedding Anniversary.




Above is a southern staple that is quickly becoming obsolete. Delta Cotton, 24 x36, was purchased by a collector from Nashville at one of my solo shows in the fall of 2009... She touched my heart as she told me that her father was a cotton farmer and had always told her stories of his love for farming. That made the “adoption” of the painting even more special. She and I have remained friends and I look forward to visiting with her at her cabin on the TN river this spring.



Homeplace  on the Hill, 11x 14 is a painting that meant the world to me and sadly I wasn’t able to communicate with the owner. It sold in one of my galleries and this particular gallery does not share collector information with me. I wonder sometimes if the person who selected the painting had memories of a home place similar to this one. I had painted it because it reminded me of my childhood home -the house in which I was born. I loved the clothes on the line. I remember in the 60’s as a child, waking up on weekday mornings to go out on barefooted on the sunny east facing back porch to find my mother gracefully putting clothes through the ringer washer- and piling them like spaghetti folds into a white enamel wash basin and carrying them to the clothes line to hang. Clothes smelled wonderful back then!

No comments:

Post a Comment