Facebook

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Art and the Economy

Allied Education 12x24©DotCourson
This is an Amish child in Pontotoc county learning to drive a team of horses. I named the painting, "Allied Education." The Amish are schooled only until the 8th grade ...because they learn only to do their life's work. One state's court case that allowed it said they could be in this "allied education program" to learn  the work skills they would need for life.  
Around here the Amish have several saw mills. Lots of them work with horses shoeing and making bridles, etc. Sweet folks!
I wonder if the economy has affected them? I doubt it... It may have helped their business!




I post this picture since it contains horses. I was asked awhile back by Equine Artists online Magazine about what artists are doing during these tough economic times. 

Here are the questions / my response:


1. What did you do as the economy started to slow?
" This has actually been my best year ever! That may be due to becoming better known as a southern landscape painter and winning awards at some events- some were national shows. So as the economy declined, my popularity in a competitive market rose. What I have learned: continue to be consistent and produce a quality product."

2. Any advice to other artists?
"Allow local clients to “try out” a piece of work in their home. Potential collectors are nervous in this economy and will not make a “snap decision".  I guarantee client satisfaction for my commissioned landscapes. There is not a lot of risk involved (painting could be sold later) as the work will be within my own expectations. Support your gallery – they are going through rough times as well: offer to do commissions to their gallery clients who are looking for something in particular (..i.e. certain size – horizontal vs. vertical oriented painting). Be ready to flex your schedule to accommodate the client/ or gallery. Stand on your head to get that commission. You can rest later! [Accommodate collectors who still need and want special pieces art and provide quality works for them...] Galleries love new works so keep it fresh! Be supportive and encouraging to other artists as well. The market is crowded but try to be gracious to others who are also struggling."

No comments:

Post a Comment